A cracked windshield is a common issue many drivers face. While there are DIY methods available for cracked windscreen repair, it’s essential to weigh the pros and cons before attempting it yourself. In this blog post, EW Windscreens explores the process of repairing a windshield crack at home and discuss the benefits of consulting with a professional in Melbourne.
Understanding Types of Windshield Cracks
Before diving into cracked windshield repair, it’s crucial to understand the different types of windshield cracks:
- Chip: A small piece of glass has been removed from the windshield, usually caused by a rock or debris.
- Bullseye: A circular, cone-shaped crack caused by a round object, like a stone.
- Star: A series of small cracks radiating from the point of impact, resembling a star.
- Combination: A mix of different crack types on the windshield.
DIY Cracked Windshield Repair
If you decide to attempt a cracked windshield repair at home, here’s a general guideline on the process:
- Assess the damage: Determine the type and size of the crack. If the crack is larger than a quarter or extends to the edge of the glass, it might be best to consult a professional.
- Clean the area: Remove loose glass and debris from the crack using a soft brush or cloth. Clean the area with glass cleaner and dry thoroughly.
- Apply the cracked windshield filler: Purchase a windshield repair kit from an auto parts store. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to apply the cracked windshield filler, which usually involves injecting resin into the crack with a syringe or applicator.
- Cure the resin: Allow the resin to cure as the kit instructs. This may require exposing the area to sunlight or using UV light.
- Remove excess resin: Once the resin has cured, remove any excess with a sharp blade, careful not to scratch the glass.
- Polish the area: Buff the repaired area with a soft cloth to restore the glass’s clarity.
What are the Benefits of Consulting a Professional?
While DIY cracked windscreen repair may seem tempting, it’s important to consider the benefits of seeking professional help:
- Equipment: Professionals use advanced tools and high-quality materials that may not be available in DIY repair kits, ensuring a more reliable and lasting repair.
- Safety: Incorrectly repairing a windshield can compromise its structural integrity, which can be dangerous. Professionals ensure that the repair is done safely and correctly.
- Warranty: Professional windshield repair services have a warranty, providing peace of mind if the crack reappears or spreads.
Trust Our Expertise
While repairing a cracked windshield at home is possible, weighing the risks and benefits before attempting a DIY solution is essential.
Types of Damage
Insurance companies often cover small chips and cracks under windscreen chip repair insurance. However, if the damage is extensive and requires a full replacement, you may need to pay your deductible, depending on your policy.
Trust the professionals at EW Windscreens for safe and reliable cracked windshield repair. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and experience top-notch service from our expert team based in Melbourne.